Tuesday 13 November 2012

Zoonosis – diseases people can get from animals.


I think most people have become far too concerned with germs. And far too concerned about the “possible” diseases they can get from an animal. There are bits and pieces of information out in the public and its lead most people to the strangest conclusions.
  Like “germs”. Most people would be hard pressed to actually give a definition of a germ. Do they mean bacteria? Viruses? Fungi? Spores? I think people would be grossed out to discover that the “culture” in yogurt and cheese are actually bacteria and fungi. Those hand cleaners that kill 99% of bacteria, those are the nice, non-toxic bacteria that wouldn’t hurt you. It is the 1% that are nasty and they just lay around, impervious to the nasty chemicals in the cleansers. The nasty chemicals are probably more of a risk to your overall general health than the bacteria. And now, those nasty bacteria have the whole environment to themselves, without any good bacteria to get in the way and prevent the wholesale spread of the baddies.
          Most animals don’t have anything that you can “catch” and get sick with. There are exceptions, of course. Pregnant women shouldn’t clean up cat poop, or garden without gloves on. Cat poop may have toxoplasmosis in it and that can hurt the unborn baby but adults can handle it. When I worked at the vet, most animals with ringworm got it from children, not the other way.
          Sick animals can make you sick. Healthy animals aren’t going to. I have lived on my farm for 17 years and don’t get sick often. When I do, it is something that is going around at my office, not from my animals.
          If you have to handle a sick animal, use your common sense. Blood, poop, and urine may be contaminated, so use gloves. When I help a goat give birth, sometimes I don’t have gloves, but I am very careful about washing thoroughly afterward. In addition, I make a point of not touch my face or eyes.
          Your skin is a strong barrier against infection of many kinds. Most disease needs to get into your body to make you ill. If you keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth, then you have reduced the ways into your body. If your skin is broken, you have to be more careful. Wear gloves, wash carefully, and use your common sense.
          I am sitting at the keyboard trying to think of some illness or disease that an animal I have encountered that I could have become sick with. I did work in an animal pathology lab, where a rabies infected bear’s carcass was brought in, but it was a path lab and it was a place sick, dead animals were concentrated. Nothing comes to mind – all the pets, working at a few vet clinics, farm animals, fairs … nothing.
           I have contracted many illnesses from people, but not animals. Think about it. Breathe. Wash your hands. Humans are meant to live in the environment, not separate from it. Soil is good to touch. Animals are here to pet and hug. Enjoy life, don’t be afraid. 

And who wouldn't want to hug that!
(Archie when we first brought him home April 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment